Having pain in joints of palm and soles feet. Diagnosed high uric acid, prescribed Fubexostat. Suggest?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2013
Jul 2013
Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I am having pain in the joints of my palm and soles feet. Doctors have diagnosed high uric acid levels. Have been prescribed Fubexostat 40 mg tabs since a week. The pain does not seem to go away. Please assist for some relief .
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Febuxostat is not an Analgesic.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

This is just to let you know that Febuxostat is not an Analgesic (pain killer) medication. It is used to treat Hyperuricemia (high uric acid levels) in a long term basis. So, in order to have pain relief which is arising from the joints you have to use a regular pain killer medicine along with febuxostat.

I routinely prescribe Aceclofenac and paracetamol combinations,(one tablet twice daily after food) for my patients presenting with similar complaints.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further

Follow-up: Having pain in joints of palm and soles feet. Diagnosed high uric acid, prescribed Fubexostat. Suggest? 24 minutes later
Is it adviseable to take the medicine you suggest alongwith febuxostat. Asking you because i am currently travelling and cannot get in touch with my GP. Thanks

Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you can take them simultaneously.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Nice to hear from you.

You can take Aceclofenac + paracetamol combination along with Febuxostat. But don't take both the medicines at the same time. Give atleast half an hour gap between the two.

Have a great day.

Follow-up: Having pain in joints of palm and soles feet. Diagnosed high uric acid, prescribed Fubexostat. Suggest? 2 minutes later
Thanks Doc. Btw Where are you stationed, if i am allowed to ask? Else please ignore.
Thanks again.

Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, I am based at KURNOOL, ANDHRA PRADESH STATE.

Have a nice time.