Ask a Dentist   »  

Having pain in hip, thigh, knee and groin. Get muscle spasms and aching. Using celebrex and ibuprofen. Suggest?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
HELL. I HAVE BEEN EXPERIENCING PAIN..SEVERE AT TIMES IN MY RIGHT HIP, THIGH , GROIN AND KNEE. I GET MUSCLE SPASMS AND ACHING IN THE BONE OF MY THIGH. IT HAS BECOME INCREASINGLY DIFFICULT TO OBTAIN RELIEF. I USE CELEBREX AND IBUPROFEN.. RECENTLY I HAD MRI OF HIP WHICH SHOED A POSSIBLE ENDOCHROMA/CHONDROSARCOMA AND BURSITIS. I ALSO HAD MRI OF KNEE WHICH SAY I HAVE DEEP FISSURING WITHIN THE CARTILEDGE OF LATERAL PATELLAR FACET AND MEDIAN PATELLAR RIDGE AS WELL ASMIDLINE TROCHLEA WITH SUBCHONDRIAL CYSTIC CHANGE. THERE IS PATCHY NON SPECIFIC PUNCTATE FOCI OF T2 HYPERINTENSE SIGNAL IN DISTAL FEMMUUR PROXIMAL TIBIA. PLEASE EXPLAIN WHAT THIS COULD POSSIBLY BE. I AM SUFFERING AND DONT WANT TO USE PAIN MEDS. I NEED TO UNDERSTAND WHAT IS GOING ON SO I KNOW WHAT MY NEXT STEP SHOULD BE. I JOINED A GYM TO DO WATER AEROBICS ASSUMING IT IS ARTHRITIS BUT IT CAUSED ME EXTREME PAIN. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK IS GOING ON.
Posted Sun, 28 Jul 2013 in TMJ

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later

Your MRI finding of knee points towards chondromalacia patellae or patellofemoral arthritis. For this you have to do some knee exercises to strengthen the quadriceps and hamstring muscles under guidance of your physical therapist.Avoid squatting, kneeling and stairs if you can.

You have mentioned MRI finding of hip showing possible enchondroma/ chondrosarcoma. Enchondroma is benign lesion but if it is chondrosarcoma then it is worrisome as it is malignant lesion.

There is feature to upload images. If you have xray of affected area already done, please upload it and other reports, so I can help you in better way.

Hope this will helps you.

Regards.