Having pain in hip and spine area. Report showed Early changes of lumbar spandylens and Anteriol wedging of D12 vertibral body

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
sir,I am 23 years guy and my weight is 94 kgs,height 5 feet8 inches.On 20/9/2013 i fell down on the cement floor(because i didn't observe that floor is wet)and slips back side .After felling down my body gets some shock(current passing)feeling.immediately my parents get me up.after i feel some pain on my hip and spine area.immediately i met my family doctor and he says that please bring your,L-spine,T-spine X-rays.after i am taking those X-rays in lab and in that report 2 things are observed.Those are 1.Early changes of lumbar spandylens,
2.Anteriol wedging of D12 vertibral body.
my doctor says that your problem is not severe.please reduce your weight and take calcium supplements,pentaprazole,pain killers..and today (3/10/2013)my pain is reduced and i have very negligible(low) pain at the affected area today.but due to gas problem at the night time 3-4'o clock i am feeling some gas occupied at my spine(affected area).i am walking freely(from the first day onwards there is no problem to me in walking (but small pain feeling at the effected area)).and also i am having gastric trouble.but i want to know there is any bad effect to me in future due to the anterioal wedging of D12 vertibral body? and calcium supplements are enough to me for increasing the capacity of lumbar spandylens.please tell me sir.
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow the prescription given by your Doctor.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Lumbar spondylotic changes are very rare and unusual at your age. Propably obesity might have contributed to some extent.

Regarding Anterior wedging of D12 body - As you don't have any neurological disturbances in the legs or urinary disturbances, it implies that the wedging of the bone is STABLE without any compression over the spinal cord or nerve roots. So, there is absolutely nothing to worry about this.
The treatment of this condition is only conservative by means of medications and rest. Follow the prescription given by your doctor.

I personally recommend a DORSO-LUMBAR BACK SUPPORT or BRACE, as it will support your spine and prevents further wedging of the vertebral body.

The healing process takes around 8-10 weeks and till that time, you will have some mild ache over the injured site, which is not a matter of concern.

You should avoid bending forwards for atleast 3 months as this position will worsen the wedging of vertebra. Also, avoid jerky journeys while riding a bike or while travelling.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further

Follow-up: Having pain in hip and spine area. Report showed Early changes of lumbar spandylens and Anteriol wedging of D12 vertibral body 49 minutes later
sir you told me that "Lumbar spondylotic changes are very rare and unusual at your age. Propably obesity might have contributed to some extent.". then please tell me what can I do? I am already controlled my diet and avoiding of eating the the snacks,fast food etc..morning my breakfast consists 3 idlies,afternoon cup rice and night only with 2 oil less chapatis,butter u suggests any medicines for me.due to this problem any XXXXXXX situation happened to me?.please tell me the precautions and further precautionary measures about this.bcause i have 23 years only.
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You have to "burn" your body fat.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Nice to hear from you.

The only effective way to reduce your body weight is to lose the adipose tissue (fat) by burning it by way of Physical activity & workouts (exercises). Only limiting your diet will not solely help in reducing your weight. Don't ever go for medicines to reduce your body weight as they tend to produce numerous side effects.

I recommend to join a Gym which is supervised by an official trainer, so that you will not injure yourself during workouts.

Don't worry about the Early lumbar spondylotic changes as they will not harm you in any way. Back strengthening exercises are vital in providing strength & support to your spine, so consult a physiotherapist and follow his advice.

Hope I have justified your query. Have a great day