Having pain in hip and knee and feels like pop causing pain up to hip. Have arthritis. Suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am having quite a lot of pain in my left hip and also my left knee. At times it seems that my knee will pop and cause severe pain up to my hip. I do know I have a great deal of arthritis in my lower back. I am a 69 yr old female. I have a primary care clinic but I am not sure who I should consult.

Thank you, XXXXXXX Kerr
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do consult an orthopedician.

Detailed Answer:
The symptoms you have are due to osteoarthritic changes. These are basically age related degenerative changes in the weight bearing joints like knee and hip and is characterized by joint pain and stiffness. Upon movement the stiffness gradually relives. Sometimes application of hot pads can make the movement possible.
The treatment options include pain killers, hot fomentation, lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin , dycerin, etc and some life style modifications and physiotherapy.
Right now you can start taking Tablet Tylenol ( Acetaminophen) Double Strength after breakfast and after dinner. It is suggested to add calcium supplements 500mg each twice daily. This will take care of your mild symptoms in 3-5 days.
You can start with walking and aerobic fitness exercises, quadriceps strengthening, patellar tapping, lateral heel wedges, etc- under the guidance of your physiotherapist.
A Big No to Stair case, squatting postures, any chair which has a sitting platform lower than your knees.
Knee brace can also be used for an earlier and prolonged relief.
In severe cases intra articular injections of steroids and hyaluronic acid may be needed after consultation with your orthopaedician.
I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for physical examination. A few blood tests, X-rays of the knee, CT / MRI scans of the knee will help us diagnose the condition and help us in choosing the best approach of treatment.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.