Having pain in hip and groin area. X-ray showed no fracture. How to get relief?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hello, My mom, 67 yo fell down on the floor from 2 feet high on her left hip 2 weeks ago (trying to get away from the house that was flooded the night when hurricane XXXXXXX was in our town). X-ray confirmed that no fracture, no cracks- everything is good. But she is still in pain (in scale of 10, she is 9-10 every day )and it's not getting any better. Pain in left back hip and goes to groin, no bruises, no swelling, can bend her leg, at night difficult to turn from side to side. She was taken Advil 500 mlg for 1 week, also still use Bengay Cream, but not even slight improvements. She doesn't have insurance. How long will pain last? ANy pills? Thank you
Posted Tue, 4 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later

There is possibility of soft tissue injury or stress fracture of femoral neck.

Now two weeks already passed still your mom have severe pain over her hip, there is more chance of stress fracture.

Frequently, routine radiograph initially are normal and diagnosis confirmed by bone scan or MRI.

Therefore, I suggest you to consult her to an orthopaedic surgeon for thorough examination and repeat x XXXXXXX bone scan or MRI under his or her guidance,

Meanwhile, she can take anti inflammatory drug diclofenac 50mg one tablet with food as and when required (up to 3 tablet daily) to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid putting weight and rest well.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.