Having pain in heal and lasts for few minutes. Could this be peripheral artery disease?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hi when i get up in the am i have some heal pain in both feet but only lasts for few min could this be PAD?
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
From your symptoms, it seems that you are suffering from plantar fasciitis. It happens due to inflammation of the plantar fascia. This is not related to PAD.
A short term rest and take care of the inflammation.
To help the pain, ice the area immediately after getting up in the morning. You can use either a store-bought cold pack or a frozen wet towel. Ice for 10 or 15 minutes. To reduce inflammation, take an aspirin or ibuprofen at mealtime.

A 4-inch wide Crepe bandage wrapped around the region also helps reduce discomfort.
Calf and anterior (front of) leg stretching and strengthening addresses the biomechanical problems and reduces pain.
Pay careful attention to selecting the correct running shoe based upon the foot type (flexible pronator vs. rigid supinator). This is extremely important. In selected cases, shoe inserts (orthotics) may be necessary. Shoe inserts are often the key to successful treatment of plantar fasciitis. The shoe inserts often permit patients to continue their routine activities.
If the pain does not resolve, an injection of cortisone can decrease the inflammation of plantar fasciitis.
You may need few physiotherapy sessions along with prescription anti inflammatory drugs after getting yourself examined from an Orthopedician.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Having pain in heal and lasts for few minutes. Could this be peripheral artery disease? 7 hours later
how many days do i need to ice and how long before i am pain free? thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
With the help of medicines, icing and shoe inserts, you should be pain free in a week.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.