Having pain in hand while lifting heavy things. On medication. Suggest some medicine and diet

My mother who is around 75 years is having pain in her hands when she applies pressure on hand like pushing things from hand, lifting heavy things, when got up with support of hand etc. She had viral fever last month. Her daily medications are as mentioned below. She has knee pain. Please let us know anything more to be added to suppliement Vitamin/Calcium to current medication or diet.please read BlumitexaR (diabetic) as Glumetza 500 mg tablet
Posted Wed, 14 Nov 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 6 hours later
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
I think your mother has developed a tense compartment syndrome underneath the Palmer arch located on the front of the wrist. The condition is common in diabetics, hypothyroidism patients and elderly obese ladies. Evion and Hydrochlorthiazide can augment this problem. Evion is wrongly used under the belief that it is an antioxidant and would benefit such conditions.
I would advise you to remove these two drugs and get the blood pressure medicines adjusted without hydrochlorthiazide.
Also check her status of control of diabetes and check whether she is also hypothyroid.
In nutshell get a CBC, RFT, Blood sugar levels-Fasting and post-postprandial and HbA1c levels, Thyroid profile and Lipid profile on the early morning fasting sample.
You should add a B-complex like Becosule-Z or Neurobin Forte on supplement panel and ensure that she gets good protein intake and if her body weight is on wrong side then to cut down on it.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!