Having pain in hand, thumb and wrist. Sever pain in knee and migraine problem. Remedy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2013
Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I AM WITNESSING HUGE PAIN IN RIGHT HAND IN THE AREA BETWEEN THUMB AND WRIST , WHENEVER I EAT OR PRESS MY THUMB AGAINST ANYTHING I GET A DREADFUL PAIN AND ITS UNBEARABLE, IAM UNABLE TO OPEN A BOTTLE , PEN ANYTHING - THE PAIN IS SO SCARY AND BAD , MY KNEES ARE FACING THE SAME PROBLEM , IF I AM SITTING I DONT HAVE ANY PAIN BUT AS SOON AS I STAND OR WALK I FACE VERY BAD PAIN IN MY KNEE AND ANKLE, I AM HAVING PERSISTENT MIGRAINE PROBLEM WITH VOMITTING, MY URINE IS NOT CLEAR MOVEMENT SO I HAVE TO TAKE MEDICINE FOR IT, I AM GAINING EXTRA WEIGHT ON MY BELLY DUE TO THE MEDICINES - I AM FED UP AND NEED IMMEDIATE SOLUTION AS I HAVE ALREADY VISITED MANY DOCTORS BUT NO AVAIL AND REMEDY - KINDLY HELP ME
Posted Wed, 24 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 23 minutes later
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX
From the description, It looks like that your hand problem could be due to "dequervains disease". This problem typically manifests as pain in the distal end of radius (the area similar to your description) and occurs with the movements involving thumb. This condition is commonly seen in females. This is due to the tightness of the soft tissue tunnel through which the tendons have to glide while making movements of the thumb. Generally, this problem responds well to conservative management with medications. At times a steroid injection at the site of maximum pain gives good relief. If everything fails, then a surgical release may be needed.

An X-ray of the wrist joint is mandatory to rule out any bony causes.

Coming to your knee problem, it could be due to "Patello femoral arthritis" or early degenerative arthitis involving knee and ankle joint. X-rays will generally show up the changes. Initial management for these problems include -
* maintaining optimum body weight so as to decrease the load on the weight bearing lower limb joints
* Physiotherapy for strengthening the muscles
* analgesic medications and pain killer gels
* Glucosamine sulphate 1500mg supplementation for at least 2 months
* avoid sitting cross-legged and squatting for prolonged periods

Your migraine and other complaints are to be dealt by a General physician.

Hope I have answered your question. Happy to help if you need any more clarification. Regards

Follow-up: Having pain in hand, thumb and wrist. Sever pain in knee and migraine problem. Remedy? 36 minutes later
i am not been able to understand and satisfactory and would request a review and preview

Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 52 minutes later
Hi, as more of the description is given in medical terms, you might not have understood the description. OK, let me put it as simple as possible.
(1) Regarding your hand & wrist problem - I feel the pain is due to constriction (compression) of the tendon of the thumb. This problem cannot be diagnosed by X-rays. It can be diagnosed by clinical examination only by an orthopedic surgeon. Treatment is same as mentioned in my previous answer.

(2) Regarding your knee & ankle pain - These pains could be due to "wear and tear" of the joints (simply stating in layman's terminology). Follow the protocol given in my previous answer to manage these pains.

Hope i have clarified your issues. Good day.

Follow-up: Having pain in hand, thumb and wrist. Sever pain in knee and migraine problem. Remedy? 34 minutes later
i have done many treatment but not finding any solution , can u suggest a good doctor in kolkata

Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 17 minutes later
I am sorry, I do not know any doctor personally in kolkata.

There are reviews written by our users about doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area at this link

WWW.WWWW.WW
You can email me all the investigation reports, xrays, MRI scans and prescriptions given by the doctors so that i can help you. Mail it to YYYY@YYYY with subject as attention to "Dr. Naga Ravi Prasad".