Having pain in hand, hurts to pick something. Could it be just a bruise or a fracture?

I think i may have fractured a bone in my hand. Its not swollen, but there is a lot of pain and it hurts to make a fist or to try to pick something up. Do you think its just a bruse or maybe a fracture?
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 2 hours later

The fact that the hand is not swollen almost rules out a fracture in you. However, we cannot rule out hairline cracks by clinical examination alone. Therefore, it is better for you to get an x-ray of the affected hand done to rule out possible hairline cracks.

In either ways, the treatment is simple. Your affected hand or the finger will be immobilized using a splint for a week.

Anti-inflammatory medicines like Tylenol thrice daily for 2 to 3 days will help in relieving the pain.

My good thoughts say that there is no fracture and you will be fine soon.

Do write back if you have more queries.