Having pain in hand. Noticed bump under skin of finger. Have red spots on palms. Help?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have been having pain in my hands lately. Hurts to touch. Today I noticed I have a little bump under the skin of my pointer finger and my thumb. Sometimes my hands will get red spots on the palms and I don't understand why. Please any help would be nice.
Posted Thu, 12 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A thorough evaluation is needed.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Based on your symptoms in the description, I suspect some form of inflammatory arthritis in you.

The first possibility is Rheumatoid arthritis which typically presents with pain in the MCP (metacarpophalageal joints- knuckles of fingers) and PIP (proximal interphalangeal joints -first joint in the fingers) along with early morning stiffness of the joints which lasts for more than one hour. These symptoms are seen in both hands simultaneously.

The little bumps present under the skin could be rheumatoid nodules in the tendon sheaths that will be tender to touch.

There are many other forms of arthritis like Gout, Pseudo gout, Reactive arthritis, Ankylosing spondylits, Systemic lupus, rheumatic fever etc which may also present with similar features.

So, a detailed clinical examination and appropriate investigations are needed to establish a correct diagnosis.

I suggest you to consult an orthopedic surgeon for further workup and management.

Hope I have addressed your query. I welcome any clarification