Having pain in groin area, burning sensation while urinating, feeling dizzy. Should I take antibiotic?

Urologist
Question
4 days ago I had a mild cramp (ive had a full hysterectomy, so it;s not female trouble), then pain in the lower left groin area with some burning sensation in the left back along with passing a lot of urine. went to docs, he said to drink lots of water, which i'm doing, feeling dizzy, had nightmares due to slight temperature, generally still the same with pain, he took a urine sample, said there was a small amount of protein in it, and sending to lab to test, result not back for another 4-5days. should i be on antibiotics? in the uk they don't like giving you them at all!
Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 53 minutes later

Thanks for writing.
You might have infection or stone in the urinary tract based on the history.
The next step would be urine complete examination, urine culture and ultrasound scan.
Once u give urine sample for culture, antibiotics can be started pending results and change of antibiotics may be needed once the final result is availabale.
Kindly speak to your doctor about these and request a mild form of antibiotic or urinary analgesic till the results.

Hope I answered your query, kindly get back for doubts if any..
DR G Srinivasan

Follow-up: Having pain in groin area, burning sensation while urinating, feeling dizzy. Should I take antibiotic? 10 hours later
thank you,

only thing i thought he might do is put me on antibiotics straight away, which he has not. happily, i don't feel any worse, my abdomen is slightly distended and crampy when I stand up, but apart from that the pain has reduced, but still feeling a bit warm and tired/sleepy (still drinking the water). he has asked me to phone for the results with the option of going to see him asap also. i think my dad had a gall stone removed, do stones run in families? (if you see what I mean |:) but i'm sure he suffered a LOT of pain. also, can they be 'dissolved' through vibration? i think i read that somewhere...and can they be got rid of without operating?

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later
Hi
Good that you r better. Pls FOLLOWUP with ur GP.
An ultrasound scan would help to find gall stones if any and it an be addressed then.
Get well soon.
Dr GS