Having pain in groin. Had two lumbar surgeries. Having weakness. What is causing this?

Several years ago I started having a pain in my left groin area as I was walking. I soon developed limping in the left leg. I have had two lumbar surgeries since as a bulging disk was supposedly on a nerve. I still have weakness in the left leg and cannot without a cane. When I try to hol out my left foot and lift my leg, a muscle inside my leg seems to have atrophy. The limp in not getting any better and a nerve condition test has shown nerve damage in the lower back area. What do you believe is causing this limping and weakness in the left leg?
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Peripheral nerve damage

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,

Thanks for your concerns. By far, the most likely explanation of the residual limping is damage to the peripheral nerve that feeds the muscles in that area of the leg; you pointed out a great observation to support such diagnosis: ATROPHY. This is seen when a skeletal muscle loses its normal nerve supply, and the fibers dont get stimulated anymore.

There is not a great solution to the problem, but intensive directed physical therapy to the muscle, sometimes acupuncture can help.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN