Having pain in gracilis, sartorius lateral and femoral. How to get relief?

General Surgeon
My upper leg hurts (left Leg). When i say Upper leg I am talking about Gracilis, Sartorius Lateral Femoral and Femoral Area.. I have been working out intensely for last 2 months and also been flying around world quite a lot for last 2 weeks..The pain started when i was in Hong Kong 2 weeks ago. Now i am back in States. I have ignored the pain for first week and went to gym but pain never stopped so i have stopped working out for 5 days now and waiting for pain to get over.
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 36 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Gracilis muscle is located close to the saphenous vein so such pain should always be checked with veins thrombosis. Especially if the area of the pain hurts when pressing it and seems to be harder and warmer than the other leg. Flying is a risk factor of veins thrombosis.
Inguinal hernia should be also ruled out. To do that, please put your hand in the groin area and try to cough while standing. If the pain aggravates or movable lump will appear, the hernia is possible.
Strained muscle is also possible reason of such symptoms.
Sciatica (sciatic nerve compression) should be also considered. You can ask someone to rise your leg while the knee is straight (while laying down). If it causes pain while the leg is at an angle between 30 to 70 degree (see WWW.WWWW.WW , herniated disc or other sciatic nerve compression is present.

I suggest you to have: blood work, CRP, D-dimers checked and if elevated, Dopplers veins ultrasound should be done.
To rule out inguinal hernia groin ultrasound should be performed.
For spine disease diagnostics, MRI should be done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.