Having pain in genitals. Passing red stools. Hemorrhoid or fissure?

My six year old son told me about pain to the right of his gentals today and then went to the bathroom on the third trip to the restroom. He came out and said he had a "red poop this time dad". I went in and he had already flushed the toilet...but the residual in the bowl was a good bit red and there was drops of what appeared to be blood on the toilet seat as well...making me think that this was very abnormal. He has recently been out of school for a few days now, so I know his regular eating interval(s) have probably changed, but the drops of blood on the toilet seat seems excessive for perhaps a hemorrhoid or fissure. I don't know. We are watching him for his next deff.
thank you.

Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 24 minutes later

As you mentioned that its a painful bleed , so the probable site involved is lower part of large intestine, close to the anus.

Yes, it can be a fissure or just a small mass called polyp which can bleed or there may be an invective cause for the bleed.

Is there any history of fever or abdominal pain?
Is there any history of worm infestation?

Kindly come up with these answers and if you have any other query please do mention.

Waiting for your response,

Follow-up: Having pain in genitals. Passing red stools. Hemorrhoid or fissure? 1 hour later
He metioned pain immediately prior to defecation but not during. No abdominal pain...just lower next to his genitals is where he pointed. No worms that I am aware of. Don't see itching and am unaware of other worm symptoms to look for. Was just taken back by the blood drops.

The night before, red gatorade, 100+degree weather during a T-ball game, but no beets in diet or things that might produce color that i am aware. He was well hydrated during the baseball game.

Thanks again,
Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 15 minutes later

Thanks for your follow up.

Thats seems more likely to be anal fissure, kindly do get your child examined by a doctor for the fissure .

I recommend that you should go for his stool Routine examination that will tell the story.

Give him green , leafy vegetables and fruits avoid constipation.
Hope I answered your question , if you do not have any other clarification you can close the discussion and rate my response.

Wishing him a speedy recovery.