Having pain in foot, diagnosed metetarcelgia, episodic. Is it a neuro or ortho problem ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
sir, i am mridula XXXXXXX from bhopal. I am having pain in ball oo the foot for 5yrs. when this happens i have a severe pain first than i am unable to walk. I cant put preassure on the front part of my foot.This is episodic and remains for 2-3 months. I feel ok for 1-2 months than this happens again. I m still under medication.I have undergone vitamin test,x XXXXXXX of back,venous doppler test,nerve conduction test,MRI of complete spine,my all the test were found normal.i am hypothyroid patient. MY reports are normal.I am taking thyroxin 100mg. ORTHO told me that i am suffering from metetarcelgia. I have modified my shoes(medial planter arch support).I consulted dr XXXXXXX deshpande of sancheti hospital pune.He said it seems to be a neuro problem.Sir i want to know is this a neuro problem or ortho problem AND WHY THIS IS EPISODIC. At present i am going treatment from neurologist from pune( DR XXXXXXX DESHPANDE).He has prescribed me following medicines for 1 1/2 month.TRENTAL, EVION, DUZELA, PAN-D40, CORUS, PRELOGIC, INDERAL10MG. Sir please guide and suggest.
Posted Thu, 28 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 15 hours later
The pain only in the ball of the foot may be related to a local inflammation like gout or metatarsalgia. To find out any structural abnormality, MRI of the affected area will guide you the best.
In case no structural abnormality or soft tissue problem is detected, then neurological cause is likely.
Right now you are getting the right treatment. You symptoms are likely to improve with this. You can continue going for follow up with Dr. Deshpande.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.