Having pain in foot and also affecting ankle. What can be done?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My foot is very painful on the bottom. the pain kinda moves around. It is always in the heel, but sometimes along the sides, and then it moves to the center of the heel and then to the right beginning side of heel. Sometimes it affects my ankle, but not always. I have a job where I have to stand all day, and I know that doesn't help, but this has just recently started to be a problem. I have tried different shoes and insoles, and even 3 pair of socks to kinda pad it. What else can I do, as I need some relief! I have to walk with a limp to try to keep pressure off of it.
Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
From your symptoms, it seems that you are suffering from plantar fasciitis. It happens due to inflammation of the plantar fascia.
A short term rest and take care of the inflammation.
To help the pain, ice the area immediately after getting up in the morning. You can use either a store-bought cold pack or a frozen wet towel. Ice for 10 or 15 minutes. To reduce inflammation, take an aspirin or ibuprofen at mealtime.

A 4-inch wide Crepe bandage wrapped around the region also helps reduce discomfort.
Calf and anterior (front of) leg stretching and strengthening addresses the biomechanical problems and reduces pain.
Pay careful attention to selecting the correct shoe based upon the foot type (flexible pronator vs. rigid supinator). This is extremely important. In selected cases, shoe inserts (orthotics) may be necessary. Shoe inserts are often the key to successful treatment of plantar fasciitis. The shoe inserts often permit patients to continue their routine activities. Consider using soft silicone heel cushions for preventing any further damage to fascia.
If the pain does not resolve, an injection of cortisone can decrease the inflammation of plantar fasciitis.
You may need few physiotherapy sessions along with prescription anti inflammatory drugs after getting yourself examined from an Orthopedician.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.