Having pain in eye, feels tender to touch and also blink during periods. What can this be?

Psychiatrist
Question
Every month during my cycle I get a pain in my eye it feels like a sty but it's not, it's in the middle of my lower lid and is tender to the touch and when I blink. It goes away with my cycle and comes back with it. What's the cause and any treatment
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please find detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.

Stye or hordeolum is an infection that could be recurrent due to diabetes, recurrent touching of eye, poor hygiene, immunoglobulin M (IgM) deficiency, dry eyes, refractive errors of the eye like near sightedness or farsightedness and chronic infection of eyelids. Warm compress, topical antibiotics and good personal hygiene usually prevents further infection.

In all probability the hormonal change during the cycle could be increasing the susceptibility to stye. I suggest that you get your blood sugar levels tested.

Further I suggest you consult an ophthalmologist and get your condition examined clinically.

I hope this helps.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr.A.Rao Kavoor

Follow-up: Having pain in eye, feels tender to touch and also blink during periods. What can this be? 3 minutes later
Hormones might be it since it only Happens during my cycle at no other time is it present I will have my eyes checked, I had physical with a CBC, bmp, tsh all normal in july

Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please get eyes checked the next time

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX,
Thanks for writing in with an update.

There are few other conditions (not involving eyes) which appear around the time of menstruation which are attributed to hormone levels. However, please get your eyes checked should your problem occur again.

I hope this helps.

Dr.A.Rao Kavoor