Having pain in collarbone. Have been lifting weight. Diagnosed AC joint disruption grade 1 or 2. Precautions?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I am 26 years old male. I am having pain in my left collarbone . I have been lifting weights for past 6 months. This happened to me on the day when i tried to do heavy bench press. Though i have stopped weight lifting for past 5 days and looks like the pain has decreased.

I visited the doctor and X XXXXXXX has been taken.
The doctor said its a AC joint disruption grade 1 or 2.

As i have read on the internet , this injury is very common in weight lifters , i want to know if i will be able to resume my workout ever again .

How many days will it take to heal ? What all precautions should i take ?

Also i am attaching the image for the X XXXXXXX for left shoulder .

Thanks .
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Conservative management for Gr 1 & 2 injuries.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Management of acromioclavicular joint injuries depends on their severity. Grade I and grade II injuries may be treated with a sling until discomfort dissipates, usually within 2–4 weeks.

Next, a rehabilitation program is to be started and is to be aimed at acquiring normal range of motion and strength to the upper extremity.

The maximum time for the healing process and return to normal activities will be around 8-10 weeks. Any game or sport or exercise which involves over head arm activity is to be performed with caution.

One must have a full range of pain-free motion and no tenderness upon direct palpation of the acromioclavicular joint or pain when manual traction is applied before returning to athletic activities.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further.

Follow-up: Having pain in collarbone. Have been lifting weight. Diagnosed AC joint disruption grade 1 or 2. Precautions? 8 minutes later
Dear Sir,

Thanks for the reply .
I hope you would have seen the attached x rays.
Also i wanted to know from the x XXXXXXX that the rotator cuff is fine and not injured.
As of know i am following the conservative approach and not using my shoulder. The pain has been bearable as it has been 2 weeks , i hope there is some recovery. The burning sensation is not there in the left shoulder.

After how many days shall i start the rehab process?

Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, I have gone through your x-rays.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Nice to hear from you.

This is just to make you know that soft tissue injuries (rotator cuff) are not visualized in x-rays. An MRI scan is needed to establish any injury to the rotator cuff.

I generally advise my patients to start the rehabilitation process after the end of 3 weeks from the day of injury.

Your injury should not pose any problem for you in performing routine activities of daily living.

Have a great day.
Follow-up: Having pain in collarbone. Have been lifting weight. Diagnosed AC joint disruption grade 1 or 2. Precautions? 3 minutes later
Thank you sir.
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Take care and don't reinjure yourself.

You can approach me directly through my profile on XXXXXXX for any musculoskeletal problems.

Good luck