Having pain in collar bone. Lifting weights. Injury comon in weight lifters. Treatment? Precautions?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I am 26 years old male. I am having pain in my left collarbone . I have been lifting weights for past 6 months. This happened to me on the day when i tried to do heavy bench press. Though i have stopped weight lifting for past 5 days and looks like the pain has decreased.
I will be visiting the doctor on Sunday.
As i have read on the internet , this injury is very common in weight lifters , i want to know if i will be able to resume my workout ever again .
How many days will it take to heal ? What all precautions should i take ?

Thanks .
Posted Mon, 21 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Muscles strain due to heavy weight lifting

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

The symptoms you have described are more likely to be symptoms of muscles strain due to heavy weight lifting. You are correct,this injury is very common in weight lifters .

Do not worry, you will definitely be able to resume your workout again .

To get relief from the pain and for quick healing:
1. Do hot fomatation at the site.
2. Apply local anti-inflammatory gel 2-3 times a day.
3. Take anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen to reduce pain and local swelling or inflammation.
4. Do not lift weight or try to do exercise that involve painful muscles. Give proper time( 2-3 weeks) for the injury to heal.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and informative and I will be glad to answer any further query.
Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.

Follow-up: Having pain in collar bone. Lifting weights. Injury comon in weight lifters. Treatment? Precautions? 7 minutes later

Thanks for the suggestions.
I somehow feel that this more of a joint injury then a muscle injury.
Any suggestions on how to get it diagnosed. As i feel this is related to the AC joint .

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get an x-ray of shoulder done.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back

To diagnose the AC joint injury, first of all get an x-ray of shoulder done. X-ray will show any disruption in acromio-clavicular joint.
After x-rays , you can consult me again directly through my profile.

Hope the information was helpful, if you have any further queries I am happy to answer, if no kindly close the query. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.

Follow-up: Having pain in collar bone. Lifting weights. Injury comon in weight lifters. Treatment? Precautions? 3 days later
Hello Sir,
I got the x XXXXXXX done .
I am attaching two images here for my left shoulder x ray?

Can you share your opinion on this?

Anukool

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
It shows AC joint sprain.

Detailed Answer:
Hello anukool,

Thanks for writing back.

I have gone through the xrays attached. It shows AC joint sprain.

It will take 2-3 weeks to heal. Give proper rest to your shoulder. Do not lift your arm above shoulder. Avoid weight lifting and bench press for few weeks.