Having pain in chest sternum and shoulder. What should I do to get relief?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

I have pain in my chest sternum. I can feel the pain when I press the chest sternum with my hand.
I get some sound from my chest when I stretch my body backward and the chest pain releases for sometime.

I have pain in my left shoulder. The shoulder joint makes some sound on certain movements and pains a lot for that moment.

Could you please help me.

I read some article while searching for the sternum pain.
It mentioned that massage session from Registered Message Therapist can solve my problem.

Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Follow-up: Having pain in chest sternum and shoulder. What should I do to get relief? 9 minutes later
I came to know last week that I have vitamin D deficiency (blood test vitamin D).
And I am currently taking Vitamin D and calcium medicine. 2 months course.

In all the 3 bike accidents there was no fracture. I was able to recover in 2 week from the injuries in hand and knee.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later

From description your chest sternum pain seems to be due to costochondritis. Costochondritis can cause pain when the sternum is pressed.It is usually harmless and self-resolves over time. Give some rest to your sternum. Avoid activities that exert exertion over sternum.You can take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation.Continue taking shoulder movement with some sound on certain movement might indicate some arthritc changes .I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. You may get the X-ray/MRI of the area affected under his/her guidance.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.