Having pain in chest, back and shoulders. Had colonoscopy to confirm Crohn's disease. Suggest

Jun 2013
I had a endoscopie and a colonoscopy to confirm I have Crohn's this evening I have pain on my chest back and shoulders I also have a very red face I am on credit song 120 milligrams today is this pain normal
Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2013 in Crohn's Disease
Answered by Dr. Sushil Kumar Sompur 10 hours later
What is credit song ?
Follow-up: Having pain in chest, back and shoulders. Had colonoscopy to confirm Crohn's disease. Suggest 8 minutes later
prednisone sorry
Answered by Dr. Sushil Kumar Sompur 24 minutes later
Hi there ~

Thank you for the clarification. Crohn's disease is an inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). It causes inflammation of the lining of your digestive tract, which can lead to abdominal pain, severe diarrhea and even malnutrition. Inflammation caused by Crohn's disease can involve different areas of the digestive tract in different people.

The inflammation caused by Crohn's disease often spreads deep into the layers of affected bowel tissue. Like ulcerative colitis, another common IBD, Crohn's disease can be both painful and debilitating, and sometimes may lead to life-threatening complications.

While there's no known cure - again there is no known cure - for Crohn's disease, therapies can greatly reduce the signs and symptoms of Crohn's disease and even bring about long-term remission. With treatment, many people with Crohn's disease are able to function well.

There is currently no cure for Crohn's disease, and there is no one treatment that works for everyone.

The goal of medical treatment is to reduce the inflammation that triggers your signs and symptoms. It is also to improve long-term prognosis by limiting complications. In the best cases, this may lead not only to symptom relief but also to long-term remission. Treatment for Crohn's disease usually involves drug therapy or, in certain cases, surgery.

Anti-inflammatory drugs
Anti-inflammatory drugs are often the first step in the treatment of inflammatory bowel disease. They include:

Sulfasalazine (Azulfidine).
Mesalamine (Asacol, Rowasa).

Also, these medications don't work for everyone with Crohn's disease. Doctors generally use corticosteroids only if you have moderate to severe inflammatory bowel disease that doesn't respond to other treatments. A newer type of corticosteroid, budesonide (Entocort EC), works faster than do traditional steroids and appears to produce fewer side effects. Entocort EC is effective only in Crohn's disease that involves the lower small intestine and the first part of the large intestine.

Corticosteroids aren't for long-term use. But, they can be used for short-term (three to four months) symptom improvement and to induce remission. Corticosteroids also may be used with an immune system suppressor — the corticosteroids can induce remission, while the immune system suppressors can help maintain remission.

Immune system suppressors
These drugs also reduce inflammation, but they target your immune system rather than directly treating inflammation. By suppressing the immune response, inflammation is also reduced. Sometimes, these drugs are used in combination. For example, a combination of azathioprine and infliximab has been shown to work better than either drug alone in some people. Immunosuppressant drugs include:

Azathioprine (Imuran) and mercaptopurine (Purinethol).
Infliximab (Remicade).
Adalimumab (Humira).
Certolizumab pegol (Cimzia).
Methotrexate (Rheumatrex).
Cyclosporine (Gengraf, Neoral, Sandimmune).
Natalizumab (Tysabri).

Medications and cancer risk
Immune system suppressors also are associated with a small risk of developing cancer such as lymphoma. These include azathioprine, mercaptopurine, methotrexate, infliximab, adalimumab, certolizumab pegol and others. The risk may be due to the immune system suppression that these medications cause. While these medications do increase risk, they may be necessary for people with Crohn's disease to improve quality of life and avoid surgery or hospitalization. Work with your doctor to determine which medications are right for you.

Antibiotics can reduce the amount of drainage and sometimes heal fistulas and abscesses in people with Crohn's disease. Researchers also believe antibiotics help reduce harmful intestinal bacteria and suppress the intestine's immune system, which can trigger symptoms. However, there's no strong evidence that antibiotics are effective for Crohn's disease. Frequently prescribed antibiotics include:

Metronidazole (Flagyl).
Ciprofloxacin (Cipro).

Other medications
In addition to controlling inflammation, some medications may help relieve your signs and symptoms. Depending on the severity of your Crohn's disease, your doctor may recommend one or more of the following:

Anti-diarrheals. A fiber supplement, such as psyllium powder (Metamucil) or methylcellulose (Citrucel), can help relieve mild to moderate diarrhea by adding bulk to your stool. For more severe diarrhea, loperamide (Imodium) may be effective. Use anti-diarrheals with caution and only after consulting your doctor.
Laxatives. In some cases, swelling may cause your intestines to narrow, leading to constipation. Talk to your doctor before taking any laxatives, because even those sold over-the-counter may be too harsh for your system.

Pain relievers. For mild pain, your doctor may recommend acetaminophen (Tylenol, others). Avoid aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others) and naproxen (Aleve). These are likely to make your symptoms worse.

Iron supplements. If you have chronic intestinal bleeding, you may develop iron deficiency anemia. Taking iron supplements may help restore your iron levels to normal and reduce this type of anemia once your bleeding has stopped or diminished.

I hope this helps and you can call your doctor's office for the recommendations. Take care and have a lovely day!