Having pain in chest and between shoulder blades. ECG test normal. Is it caused by torn back muscle?

Hi I had chest pain and pain between shoulder blades. Three ECG tests normal and troponin test fine along with chest x XXXXXXX One blood test showed raised level for muscle damage. Cardiologist said it could be a torn back muscle causing the pain. I am worried but with all these tests being normal are my concerns just a little anxiety?
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 12 minutes later

Thanks for the query

First I would like to know more about your present situation in order to come to a better conclusion

1. Does the chest pain increase on exertion or is it present all the time?
2. Does it get worse in certain position or while making certain movements?
3. Describe the pain. Pulling type, catching type, stabbing type, dull aching type?
4. Do you have hypertension or diabetes? Any history of heart disease in the family?

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Having pain in chest and between shoulder blades. ECG test normal. Is it caused by torn back muscle? 13 minutes later
The pain would be described as a dull ache and does not come after exercise or exertion, I notice it more after sitting for long periods more pain between shoulder blades than chest, occasionally after eating a larger than normal meal. There is no family history of heart disease/hypertension or diabetes.
The pain is intermittent with no timings between each episode to speak of.
I do qigong an meditate every morning which has helped not only with my Crohns but also with reducing stress levels, especially as I am getting married in three weeks.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 25 minutes later

Thanks for the quick reply

Firstly congratulations!!

You type of chest pain is what we call an atypical chest pain. It could be related to the heart, I wouldn't brush it off as a muscle tear. The ideal next step in your present situation is to get a Thread mill test done. Here ECG leads are connected to your chest and you will made to walk certain distance with increasing distance on the thread mill. If there are ECG changes then it would indicate that the pain in the chest is secondary to the heart and not the muscle. Please approach a cardiologist or a physician for the same.

I hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to answer any further ones.

I wish you good health and a very happy married life
Follow-up: Having pain in chest and between shoulder blades. ECG test normal. Is it caused by torn back muscle? 6 minutes later
Thank you for your response and regards

In order to peruse a treadmill test would I need to see my GP for them to refer this to a cardiologist or the cardiology team of my local hospital. I am base in the UK and I am not sure whether I need to go through these channels as I have never heard of booking directly with the cardiology department of a hospital.

Thank you fo your time.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 5 minutes later

In the UK all specialist referrals are from the GP, you will have to approach the GP first for a referral to a cardiologist. You could highlight your symptoms in the same you have done to me to your GP.