Having pain in calf. Tumour was shown in MRI. With reference to the reports is the tumour benign or malignant?

First Off thank you so much for your help in this matter. My question.
My girlfriend had a pain in her calf for 10 years. She finally went to the doctors about this and was told to take an MRI on it. We found out this weekend that it is a Tumor. Can you tell form looking over the MRI report if this tumor is benign or malignant?
She had this for 10 years and it only hurts if she puts pressure on the area.
She has no other medical issues

Thank you, XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 2 Sep 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

This is a very good question and I will try to work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

Unfortunately it is not possible to declare whether a growth is benign or malignant from any type of imaging study. The only definitive way to answer this question is to obtain a tissue biopsy.

i realize this might be a frustrating answer but this is my opinion and I think it would be shared by most physicians in general regarding tumors found on imaging studies.

At the same time the fact that she has had this discomfort for 10 years May indicate that this process might have been going on for many years. This suggests that whatever is going on is not a very aggressive type of process.

I am sure that you will be discussing the imaging findings with her doctors. The doctors will indicate whether they recommend a biopsy or surgical resection of the area found on the MRI.

The decision to pursue surgery is highly dependent on the impression of a surgeon who evaluates the imaging studies. A biopsy is less invasive And might be a good way to start to find out what is going on.

Thanks again for sending your question. I can appreciate that you're dealing with a very stressful situation and I thank you for reaching out to us for some additional assistance.

Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Dr. Galamaga