Having pain in buttock down hamstring to foot. Lumbar X-ray showed calcified aorta. Relation with leg pain?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been having excruciating pain in my right buttock, down the hamstring to my foot. I had 5 lumbar Xrays done last week and got my dr's report today. It said "calcified aorta means that we need to keep the cholesterol very low and no smoking XXXXXXX Plus a few words about arthritic changes & mild disc space narrowing. What does a calcified aorta have to do w/ my horrible rear end/leg pain?
Posted Fri, 5 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 42 minutes later
The calcified aorta is a chance finding and is suggestive of your propensity to have atherosclerosis.
The pain in the legs and hamstring that you are having is due to the disc space narrowing and the arthritic changes in the lumbar spine which might have been causing a mild nerve root compression.
Regular back strengthening exercises, pain killers and muscle relaxants will help in retarding these degenerative changes.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Having pain in buttock down hamstring to foot. Lumbar X-ray showed calcified aorta. Relation with leg pain? 14 minutes later
Thank you, Dr. Tayal, your info was very helpful. I have a sit-down job and often my knees hurt very badly. Can I assume (although it's always XXXXXXX to assume!) that this may also be arthritis starting? I do the exercises you mentioned and have considered joining a local gym as I am finished w/ my "official" physical therapy sessions. Are there any specific exercises/machines I can use at the gym? I currently take ibuprofen and have been taking up to 2400 mgs per day since mid-Feb and am relieved to say I am only taking about 800-1000 per day right now. If I get too used to the ibuprofen, what other pain/inflammation tablet could I switch to? Thank you for helping me, this pain has been so very bad I though it was going to drive me crazy. Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
If the pain is well controlled with ibuprofen then there is no need to change the anti inflammatory. If the pain is persistent then do get some muscle relaxant prescribed from your physician.
Regarding the exercises needed, you need to consult a physical therapist to chalk out a daily exercise regimen that would be best for you. The pain in the knees is likely to be due to osteoarthritis and quadriceps drill will help you.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.