Having pain in bowels, stomach, chest and heart palpitation. Unable to pass stool. Advise?

I am having awful pain in my bowels, my stomach, and my chest. Also unable to pass stools and heart palpitations also.
Posted Sun, 8 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
need to rule out a surgical cause

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Chest pain and palpitations can be due to a number of different causes.

During the normal heart beat, there is a certain part of the heart that sends a signal for the heart to beat. After the signal starts at this point , an impulse is sent along a specific pathway to stimulate the rest of the heart to pump.

Palpitations occur if : (1) if there is increased signally from this specific point- this can occur in different conditions such as electrolyte disturbances, thyroid disease, anxiety, excess caffeine use
(2) if another area of the heart is sending out signals for the heart to beat
(3) if there is a blockage along the pathway where the impulse normally travels
(4) if the impulse travels along another pathway
(5) if there is any abnormality of the heart

Palpitations commonly go along with chest pain.

It is also possible that the severe pain in the abdomen and stomach would cause palpitations due to the distress of the pain.

Abdominal pain can occur due to different causes.

The potential causes would depend on the area where the pain occurs.

Constipation can be related to low fiber intake but there are also more serious causes which are not as common- for example obstruction of the bowel, nerve conditions, electrolyte disturbance, low levels of thyroid hormone.
Constipation can result in abdominal pain and bloating. This pain would then cause distress and palpitations.

There are other causes of abdominal pain.

For example in the upper abdomen on the right- the concerns would be the liver, gallbladder

In the upper mid- stomach and upper abdomen

In the left upper abdomen- spleen, intestines in this area

In the central abdomen- the intestines

In the lower abdomen right- appendix ,if lower possibly hip pain being referred to the abdomen

In the lower abdomen left- hip, colon, rectum

Pelvis- prostate, bladder

You should consider visiting your doctor for an assessment. This is always recommended in severe abdominal pain to rule out a surgical cause of the pain such as obstruction, infection, trauma

Your doctor will likely take a through history and examine you.

Imaging may be suggested based on the findings.

I hope this helps,feel free to ask any other questions