Having pain in both shoulders and hip joints. Is low grade fever common with arthritis?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Is low grade fever common with arthritis? I've been having a lot of pain in both shoulders and hip joints and fever around 100 several times a day for more than a month now. I'm a 56 yo woman.
Posted Sat, 7 Sep 2013 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us,

I have studied your case with diligence.

Low grade fever is very uncommon in arthritis. Rarely if there is infection in the joint which may lead to fever but it is high grade variety.
There could be underlying infection which leads to low grade fever like bowel infection as you have undergone previous surgery.
I will advise to do some blood investigation like, complete blood count, RA profile, ESR, CRP, urine routine. If needs X XXXXXXX of shoulder and hip.

Arthritis is common feature of IBS, so you need to take medicine for your arthritis symptoms after investigating blood. My patients find good relief with physiotherapy, yoga, sometimes acupuncture.

I hope that I have answered your query. Let me know if I can help you further.