Having pain in back, feeling bloated and nauseated. How to get rid of this problem?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have a pain in my mid back on the left side that wraps around to my front. It comes and goes , sometimes within a few days , sometimes in months. I've had it for the last three days now. Its sounds similar to how a friend described her gall bladder attack, just the wrong side. When i get one of these attacks i offen feel bloated and am always very tired during it and for a day or two afterwards. This time is has been 4 days and I've also had heartburn during it and feel pretty nauseated. Just restless and want to feel better
Posted Sat, 1 Dec 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
You have mentioned that the pain is located in your abdomen on left side in the middle.
Such pain can be caused by renal causes like infections, calculi, muscular pains due to incorrect body posture, injury to left lower ribs or abdomen, intestinal infections, etc.
Hence, Ultrasound Abdomen is definitely indicated. Consider getting and X XXXXXXX chest too as lower left lung lesions can lead to similar pain abdomen as in you.

Till then, you can take an analgesics.
Consider taking paracetamol or ibuprofen for your pain. Doing a hot fomentation in the area will also be helpful. Take plenty of fluids orally and have a light easy to digest diet.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Having pain in back, feeling bloated and nauseated. How to get rid of this problem? 2 days later
Thank you for your reply

Since my original email I have been unable to eat, even lightly,as I get a lot of pain in my back and a severe headache when I do. The heart burn is pretty intense but pepto bismol helps some. I am unable to see my own doctor for a couple of weeks. I am trying ibuprofen but so far it is not working. I will request an ultrasound and X-ray

Thank you for your advice
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Since the intensity of pain has increased and you are not getting adequate relief with over the counter medicines, you need to get yourself investigated to pin point the cause.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.