Having pain in back and arm with indigestion. No fever or dizziness. Prognosis?

had upper left back pain two days ago and now left arm pain since yesterday with indigestion all day. No fever or dizziness.
Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 37 minutes later
Hi and thanks for your question,
acute onset of back pain or pain on the arm requires a good history. It would be worthwhile knowing if the onset of the pain is acute or gradual, and if this is the first time you are experiencing the pain. Considering the fact that there are no associated symptoms, the condition could be considered as mild. Poor sleeping position on its own could explain these symptoms.
Your indigestion might have nothing to do with the symptoms you are explaining. For how long have you been having indigestion? A change in the diet or having eaten what you are not used to eaten might cause indigestion. However, basic hygienic measures like drinking much water, avoid late meals, eaten much fruits and vegetables, fibre XXXXXXX foods, avoiding late meals and exercise could be of much help. However, if the symptoms have been repeated, it is recommended that adults above the age of 50 get done a colonoscopy once every two years. Intestinal tumours, which are very common after this age could present themselves as such.
I would suggest you monitor again the pain for a while, if you notice it becomes more and more serious, amd many more sites are attained, then consulting an internist or your family physician could be worthwhile. Starting to put in mind when to book an appointment with a gastrienterologist for routine colonoscopy every 2 years to me is a good idea. I suggest you start with the major eating and hygeinic rules I suggested and observe the pain. Taking appropriate sleeping positions too could actually help.
I predisposed to answer any further questions if need be.
Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.