Having pain in armpit, chest and shoulder. What is the underlying cause?

I have pain in my right armpit that extends at times through my boob into my chest and around my right shoulder. It's been happening for months and it gets so painful I at times can't move my arm. Do you have any idea what this could be?
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 3 hours later

Thanks for the query

I have noted your problem and other medical hisotory.

The possibilities in your case are 1. cervical spondylosis with nerve compression 2. non-neurological musculoskeletal pain

This issue can be resolved by a clinical evaluation by a neurologist. He/she will do a general physical examination (to look for any local cause of pain) as well as signs of nerve compression. This in turn will help us plan investigations like nerve conduction test and/or MRI scan etc. Management will depend upon the cause identified.

Hope this clarifies your query. Please get back to me in case you have further questions in this regard

Best wishes