Having pain in abdominal area, constipated and have venous stasis ulcer. Colonoscopy has shown diverticula and removed some polyps. Advise?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
HI, I AM GOING TO WRITE THIS A BIT DETAILED, I AM HAVING PAIN AROUND THE LOWER LEFT ABDOMINAL AREA, RIGHT AT THE HIP BONE AREA I HAVE BEEN VERY CONSTIPATED, I TOOK MAGNESIUM CITRATE NIGHT BEFORE LAST CLEARED ME OUT, PAIN SUBSIDED, I FEEL THE PAIN MOSTLY IF I PRESS DOWN ON THE AREA, SEEMS VERY GASSY. NOW THIS AM AGAIN FEEL SAME AND SO URGE TO USE BATHROOM. I HAVE BEEN TAKING 5 /500 LORTAB FOR A PROBLEM WITH MY LEFT LEG, I HAVE A VENOUS STASIS ULCER AND THE VEIN THERE RUPTURED LAST WEEK, SO HAVE TAKEN A GOOD AMOUNT OF PAIN MEDS. ALSO WAS TOLD ON LAST COLONOSCOPY (2.5 YEARS AGO) THAT I HAD DIVERTICULA, AND HAVE KNOWN THAT FOR AWHILE, ALSO SOME POYLPS WERE REMOVED. HAVE BEEN VERY INACVIVE 4 DAYS PRIOR TO PAIN BEGINNING LAST SATURDAY.
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 25 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for the query.
considering your medical history and age this is likely to be diverticulitis which means that there is inflammation of colon diverticules.it goes with such pain and constipatio, but also constipation is common side effect of lortab.. If I am right then the right diagnosis can be established only by ct scan.colonoscopy should not be done if there is suspected diverticulitis. other possible causes are polyps, ibs or tumors and it should be checked by colonoscopy but as I said it should be done for more than 6 weeks after diverticulitis attack. Diverticulitis is treated primary by antibiotics but if there is recurring attack it should be managed surgically.wish you good health.if you have any questions I ll be glad to help.Regards

Follow-up: Having pain in abdominal area, constipated and have venous stasis ulcer. Colonoscopy has shown diverticula and removed some polyps. Advise? 12 minutes later
I had colonoscopy like I said, but almost 3 years ago, anything I can do to help this get better, will consult my doc today

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 35 minutes later
anything can happen in 3 years. Do blood inflammatory markers at least to see is there any abdominal inflammatory process. After this you can visit specialist for further imaging tests.