Having pain during urination and yellowish discharge from penis. Tested negative for chlamydia and gonorrhea. Any idea?

Jul 2012

Hello. I am a 19 yr old male. For the past week or so I have had pain during urination and a yellowish/white discharge from my penis quite frequently. I tested negative for both chlamydia and gonorrhea. Any idea what is wrong?
Posted Fri, 12 Oct 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 18 minutes later
Hi there.
I note your history & clinical features.
What tests did you do for gonorrhea /chlamydia? How were theses tests conducted & what was the material used..urine or discharge or blood?
I presume you are sexually active. If so, when was the last intercourse? unprotected?
Are there any prior partners or current partner with a history of STD & if so what?
Is the pain on urination before, during or after the urination process?
Are you habituated to not drinking enough water?
Is there a histroy of renal /kidney stones & or problems in self or in family?
Please do get back with a detailed history & shall be better placed to help you out. Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Follow-up: Having pain during urination and yellowish discharge from penis. Tested negative for chlamydia and gonorrhea. Any idea? 13 minutes later
The std tests used urine, and it was just a simple sample collection on site at a laboratory. Last intercourse was almost a moth ago, but it was unprotected, and symptoms began a week ago. I have only had two sexual partners and neither has ever tested positive for an std. The pain is during urination, but there is also an intermittent tingling/ tenderness around the opening of my urethra. I drink 150 ounces of water a day because I am a singer. There is no history of renal problems in my family. I did masturbate into a dirty sock two or three days before symptoms began, if that is relevant. Also, I have no back pain or blood in my urine.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Heya there XXXXXX,
In the light of this history & judging by the fact that the symptoms developed 2-3 weeks after last exposure, it is possible lady chlamydia is involved. However, advise you to go for some blood tests (serum for chlamydia antigen & IgG/IgM for herpes 1 & 2); do a urine 2 glass-test...basically pee into 2 clean glass beakers in the waking hours...half stream into glass#1 & the remaining half in glass#2 (1st voided sample morning). Let me know which one is more or less turbid & particulate. This will give us a clue as to where the infection may lie in XXXXXXX pipe! Also go across to the same lab & get the technician to take a sample of the 'discharge' & do a smear & gram stain & tell me the result. Based on these tests, take the appropriate antibiotic & drink loads of water interspersed with a few beers to 'flush' out any residual infection. If chlamydia positive or suspect, doxycycline 100mg twice/day for 3 weeks the way forward. Cheers & trust this advice is both clear, precise & rids you of your symptoms. Cheers & Good Luck with the treatment!!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD