Ask a Urologist   »  

Having pain during urination. Noticed small lumps outside vagina. Chances of STD?

Excellent

Question
I have pain urinating when it flows and I see what looks like one to 2small lumps on the outside of my vagina. I am 54 yrs. Old. No history of any problems. And no chance of a sexually transmitted disease. Just wanted an idea as I am waiting for an appt. Little nervous.

No redness...feels sore. If I don't stretch the skin it looks like the extra skin around the Clitoris is where I feel it when I checked. Other than that. It looks fine. Thank you.
Posted Mon, 21 Oct 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Infection or enlarged local glands are possible

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mrs. XXXXXX,

Good day to you.

* I am Dr.(Col) R Karanwal, M.D. (Internal Medicine) and wish to volunteer myself to assist you.

* I can fully appreciate the pain and agony that you are passing through and thereby, take this opportunity to fully address to your query.

* Firstly, the nodules outside vagina are either infective or just enlarged local glands. You have not mentioned whether they are painful, oozing/non-oozing; their color; presence/absence of underlying swelling; duration of their presence. This additional information would have been of immense help in pinpointing the exact nature of the swellings. I therefore request you to kindly revert back to me with the required information.

* Nevertheless, pending receipt of the required additional information, I presume that the swellings are of bacterial/fungal origin, given the fact that you also have concomitant symptoms, suggestive of urinary tract infection.

* Further, as already mentioned above, painful urination indicates infection of the urinary passage, with or without involvement of urinary bladder.

* Based on the information provided, I would like to assure you that it is not serious, but easily curable with anti-microbial drugs. SO, PLEASE RELAX!

* I am of the personal opinion that you need to undergo urine examination, including culture to isolate the culprit organism and also short-listing of most effective anti-microbial/anti-bacterial drugs.

* Vaginal smear analysis should also be carried out to exclude/confirm co-existing vaginal infection- commonly associated with urinary tract infection.

I therefore recommend that you discuss the entire matter with your treating doctor, who knows what is the best course of action that needs to be taken.

Hope I have addressed your query to your satisfaction. If you have any further questions, I will be more than happy to help you.

However, if you do not have any further clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you a speedy recovery and good health.

Fond regards and best wishes,

Dr. (Col) R Karanwal

Follow-up: Having pain during urination. Noticed small lumps outside vagina. Chances of STD? 23 hours later
hello Dr. Thank you for responding and your kind words.. To follow up....yes, painful as in picking and soreness. There has not been any oozing, no vaginal discharge...i have not had my period since I was 41..the swelling is normal in color as is the whole area outside. Seems like these symptoms are deminishing today.The bumps..seems like 2 are like a tiny pea today.i clicked on the wrong symptom with the urination..That is always normal. What i ment was while doing this it runs over the area and that is burning...Hope this is more clearer for you..I was just upset as I never had problems in that area. Thank you for your time.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Bartholin's cysts: symptoms & treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mrs. XXXXX,

Good Day.

1. Thank you very much for the valuable input.

2. You most likely, have Bartholin's cyst. Just for your information, Bartholin's glands are a pair of small glands, each about the size of a pea. Each gland makes a small amount of mucus-like fluid. The fluid from each gland drains down a short tube (duct) called the Bartholin's gland duct. The fluid helps to keep the entrance to the vagina moist.

3. At times, the duct gets blocked, leading to collection of fluid in the gland. This is called a Cyst. When it gets infected, an abscess formation takes place.

4. From your symptoms, the glands are probably NOT infected. PLEASE RELAX, AS IT IS A MINOR PROBLEM.

5. If I were your treating doctor, I would have recommended

* a short (4-5 days) course of pain-killers (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs) and,

* Sitz Bath 3-4 times daily. In a sitz bath, you fill the tub with warm water only up to hip level. you should soak in three or four sitz bath a day, for at least 10 to 15 minutes each. It will soothe your pain and discomfort.

6. This notwithstanding, please consult your treating doctor, who will examine the lumps to see whether there is infection or not. In the event of infection in the lumps, he will prescribe a course of appropriate antibiotics.

Fond regards and best wishes,

Dr. (Col) R Karanwal