Having pain during sitting and bending. Noticed brown discharge and blood clots. Should I be concerned?

May 2013
I was told that i have large mass on an ovary that they can't find. I am constant pain, mainly when sitting,bending twisting and climbing for 3 months. Then out of the blue I got white discharge then brown mucus discharge and then blood clots and bleeding. My doctor says to wait to see what the mri says but I am concerned. This lasted for 10 days.
Posted Fri, 6 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Take tablets to control bleeding, D&C may needed Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Ovarian masses can be of different types. Large masses can present with pain abdomen. Twisting of the mass, compression over surrounding structures can lead to excessive pain. Hormones producing tumors of the ovary can lead to bleeding through vagina by affecting the endometrial tissue. By MRI and CA 125 levels, one conclusion can be drawn regarding mass. Consult gynecologist once, take tablets to control the bleeding. And go for D&C or endometrial biopsy. Histopathological examination of the tissue gives idea about the cause for bleeding. Depending on all these investigations, treatment can be planned. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.
Follow-up: Having pain during sitting and bending. Noticed brown discharge and blood clots. Should I be concerned? 5 minutes later
thanks, If they can't find the ovaries how can they say it is a mass from one of them. the ultrasound was inconclusive and this is why I am having an MRI.
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: MRI may find out the exact cause Detailed Answer: Hi, Sometimes ovary can not be made out in ultrasound. The causes are : - Ovarian mass completely occupying the ovary, with out leaving any normal tissue. -Ovary hiding behind some other structures like uterus. This can occur due to adhesions etc. In these type of cases, according to the expected position of the ovary, usually the mass is suspected as ovarian mass. And further tests are advised accordingly. Possibly MRI can made out the exact nature of the mass. Take care.