Having pain directly below sternum. Having burping. Ultrasound normal. Cure?

For years I have experienced pain directly below the sternum and to the right of the sternum under the rib cage. It has become a more consistent pain over the past several months. Applying pressure and stretching upwards he's but does not make the pain go away. It is accompanied with burping at times and Tums will provide relief for a very short period of time. An ultrasound was negative of any findings, but it really feels as if there is a ball under the rib cage that you just want to push out of the way. It is very uncomfortable and I would like to find some relief. Confession......I do drink a fair amount of diet soda
Posted Fri, 12 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 27 hours later
Thank you for the query.
I understand your concern.
Well possibilities are costochondritis (rib tip cartilage swelling) or functional abdominal pain syndorme. Unlikely that costochondiritis stays on for years.
First thing is need not worry, alley anxiety.
Avoid soda as it increases bloat.
Avoid coffee, eat on time, take regular atleast 7 hrs sleep.
Ensure you do not sleep 2 hrs after meals.
Exercise regularly.
Also do not feel for the lump or palpate the pain site continuously as it may worsen symptoms.
You may need to take mild anxiolytic if still symptoms persist after consulting your gastroenterologist to get rid of the symptoms.
Do not worry.
Hope this answers your query.
Wish you a speedy recovery..
Happy to help...