Having pain coming down from back to knee of left leg. What is causing this?

i have been told that my back pain which goes down into my lelf leg to the knee could be coming from a gland at my stomach that is only sending down 3% of whatever down my leg - it is nearly blocked can you explain
Posted Mon, 6 Aug 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 4 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with an additional degree in cardiology.
Pain carrying sensation from the knee to back are carried by fibers in a nerve which enters spinal canal (a space between vertebrae where there is spinal cord which is an extension of central nervous system) to merge with spinal cord and then to pain center in brain. It all happens in the back whereas stomach lies in front. Usually, what happens is in degenerative disease or age related wear and tear of spine, bony concretion arise, or space between two vertebra becomes narrow or there is prolapse of inter-vertebral disc between lumbar vertebra this all result in pressure on the nerve which carries the pain fibers and we get sensation of pain from back to all the way to knee, Bending -which increases this pressure tremendously- increasing the pain. that is why back is kept straight and at times traction is applied. I hope this clarifies the matter to some extent if you have a further query, I will be happy to answer that.

With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW