Having pain being stung on kidney. Taking Benedryl and advil. Remedy for pain?

Jul 2016

I'm having severe pain from being stung twice on the kidney are by a yellow jacket. I've taken benedryl and advil, but nothing has helped relieve the pain. It feels as though the pain is just as bad as when I was first stung 6 hours ago. This seems unusual as I have been stung by yellow jackets before, and the pain never lasted more than an hour. I was stung multiple times on the head a fews years back, and had bad pain at the time. However, it wasn't this severe and didn't last near as long.

We've also tried hydrocortisone creme as well.

Why is the pain so severe to such a long time. It's probably an 8 on a ten point scale. It doesn't let up either.
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have severe pain in loin since last 8-10 hours.
The pain in kidney area is usually due to presence of urinary stone either in Kidney or Ureter.
Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical evaluation and following tests.
1) Routine urine and urine culture to rule out infection .
2) Ultrasound scanning of the abdomen to rule out presence of stone either in kidney or ureter.

In the mean while please take broad spectrum antibiotics along with anti spasmodic like spamoproxyvon twice daily .

Get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician.

Ensure to drink more water.To keep your urine dilute,

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you
Follow-up: Having pain being stung on kidney. Taking Benedryl and advil. Remedy for pain? 11 minutes later
Thank you for the response , but I'm certain the pain is due to the insect sting. I've had kidney stones in the past, so I'm familiar with the pain associated with them.

I'm still in severe pain 8 hrs after the initial bite.

I don't understand why the pain is so severe when I've been stung by yellow jackets (similar to a bee) in the past and it never hurt this long or this bad before.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 16 minutes later
Thanks for follow up.
Looking at the history of having stones in the kidney it is always better to get investigated to confirm the the same.The pain due to kidney stone cannot be similar at all the times it depends upon degree of obstruction it causing to urine flow (Hydronephrosis) which can be confirmed only on Ultrasound scanning.
Please take anti histamine drugs like cetrizine twice daily if you suspect it to be due to sting.
Thanks and Regards.