Having pain behind knee. What to do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
ive been having pain in left leg back behind the knee area to right handside ive very active im 47yr old went away over night then has reappeared over 9hrs im on my feet a lot it feels like a knot that has been pulled super tight.
Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 20 minutes later
The pain at the back of your knee with no history of trauma to the area is likely to be due to a muscle pull or osteoarthritis changes in the knee joint.
These are basically age related degenerative changes in the weight bearing joints like knee. Sometimes application of hot pads can make the pain better.
The treatment options include pain killers, hot fomentation, lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin , dycerin, etc and some life style modifications and physiotherapy.
Right now you can start taking Tablet Tylenol ( Acetaminophen) Double Strength after breakfast and after dinner. It is suggested to add calcium supplements 500mg each twice daily. This will take care of your mild symptoms in 3-5 days.
You can start with walking and aerobic fitness exercises, quadriceps strengthening, patellar tapping, lateral heel wedges, etc- under the guidance of your physiotherapistafter the acuta pain subsides completely .
A Big No to Stair case, squatting postures, any chair which has a sitting platform lower than your knees.
Knee brace can also be used for an earlier and prolonged relief.
I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for physical examination. A few blood tests, X-rays of the knee, CT / MRI scans of the knee will help us diagnose the condition and help us in choosing the best approach of treatment.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.