Having pain at the top of arm. Should I be concerned?

Nov 2013

I have had a dullish pain at the top of my right arm for about 5 weeks,I feel it more in bed rather than during the day,it does not restict my arm movement,also the odd night I dont feel it at all,should I be concerned ?.
Posted Wed, 17 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 25 minutes later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare Magic.
First of all, I want to reassure you that there is no need to get worried regarding your current symptoms.
Pain at the top of the arm is likley to be of musculo-skeletal origin. The common causes can be a muscle ache (myalgia) or mild frozen shoulder. However, you do not have enough symptoms to make a definite diagnosis of frozen shoulder. In this condition, the arm and shoulder movements would be painful.
As of now, there is no need to see a doctor.
You could use an analgesic such as paracetamol or diclofenac to get pain relief.
Physical therapy including arm and shoulder exercises would be useful too.
I hope it helps. Please get back if you have more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
XXXXXX Consultant Neurologist