Having pain at the base of skull and have slightly blocked sinus. What is going on?

Hi Doctor, it hurts in the right hand side at the base of my skull each time I breathe in. I thought I had a sore neck but realised that it is connected to breathing in. It does not hurt when I breathe out. I have a slighty blocked sinus on the right as well but its not much really. What is happening?
Posted Sat, 10 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
It seems you have strain in trapezius muscles which are are a pair of flat triangular shaped muscles attached to the base of the skull and are extended to the neck, shoulder blade and middle back region. These broad muscles are involved with various movements of the shoulder blades, neck, head and arms.  It performs other functions like supporting the weight of the arms and also assists in breathing. Trapezius muscle pain gives you a XXXXXXX pulsating feeling in the neck and in between the shoulder blades and gives soreness or pain in neck specially during breathing.

Your pain suggests that these muscles have been subjected to excessive stress and the causes can be
Poor posture
Carrying heavy objects like purse or repetitive use of muscles for holding the phone between head and ear
Sleeping in wrong position
In women it may occur due tight fitting bra straps.

Treatment consists of
Giving rest to these muscles 
Local ice application
Anti inflammatory medicines like ibuprofen 600 mg three times a day for 5 to 7 days
Improving your posture
Doing stretchings

I advise you to consult your doctor for proper evaluation and treatment.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck