Having pain around tailbone while sitting down or getting up. Looking for relief

I have pain in my bottom when i sit down in certain positions, and also just as i get up, as the pressure is taken off my bottom. I cant figure out exactly where the pain is, because i cant emulate the pain with my hands, its only in certain sitting positions. It doesnt seem to be coming from the tail bone, if anything, more from the actual butt hole itself. Its not a sharp pain, more like an irritated bruise. Thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 24 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX, you likely have hemorrhoids. These could be XXXXXXX (not seen on the outside) or external (you can feel those with a finger). When they are large they can be uncomfortable or painful particularly if they "thrombose".
Another option is an anal fissure, however the pain would be localized and more likely to be reproducible by touching with a finger or by having a bowel movement. Anal fissures are more common if there is any rectal trauma (very constipated) or sexual anal intercourse.
I would suggest you to use very soft toilet paper or wipes, and keep the area dry afterwards. You should be checked out by a colorectal surgeon or proctologist for further recommendations.
Based on your age, it is unlikely to be something worrisome (such as a cancer).
Hope that helps.
Follow-up: Having pain around tailbone while sitting down or getting up. Looking for relief 19 minutes later
Hi Dr, thank you for your quick reply. There is no pain with bowel movements, and no anal intercourse. I have been constipated in the past, but not directly before these syptoms. This has lasted a couple of weeks so far, and i had it about 3 months ago, which lasted a few weeks also. I will keep an eye on things, and take your recommendations mentioned in your message. The pain is by no means unbareable, and not causing too much of a problem, but I just thought i would check as i have had it on and off for a couple of weeks. Are there any creams that i should look for in my chemist that could help? Lee.
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 14 minutes later
It all sounds more like hemorrhoids, but I don't want you to apply any creams before getting checked out by a doctor.
A home remedy you can try if these are indeed hemorrhoids is to perform "sitz baths" with "epsom salts". You can look in the internet how to do it, but basically you turn your bathtub into a "sitz bath" by filling it with 2 to 3 inches of warm, not hot, water. Soak for up to 20 minutes up to three times daily. If the water becomes cool during your bath, replace it with warm water. You can add "epsom salts" to your water (which can be bought at a local pharmacy).
This will not completely heal hemorrhoids, but hopefully can help significantly with your symptoms.
good luck.