Having pain around neck and upper spine. How to get relief from this pain?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am having pain around the neck and upper spine for the last 1 month. The severity of the pain keeps varying and there are some days when it feels fine , but there are some days when the pain is too much. I try to keep proper posture while working at my desk. Such persistent pain is happening first time to me. Please suggest how to relieve this pain and ways to prevent it. Thanks
Posted Mon, 30 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Analgesic followed by exercises later on

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

As per your symptoms neck pain can be due to diffuse disc bulge compressing your cervical spine.
Most probable reason for your symptoms could be postural problem as you may be sitting for long time and working on computer for long time.

When such patient comes to my hospital we usually take x XXXXXXX spine to see for severity of nerve compression.
Some medication like methylcobalamine with muscle relaxant and analgesic will reduce pain, you can take them consulting your treating doctor.

Some exercises which can be done after pain has reduced include- gradual neck rotation, touching your ears to shoulder, shoulder shrugging exercises.
You may consult physiotherapist for further guidance. He may start TENS ,or ultrasound which is helpful in your case.

Some life style modifications to prevent pain– Take break every 40 min from computer and do some neck rotation, stretches, walk and get back to work. Sit with taking support to your neck, do not use thick pillow in bed, and do not watch television constantly.

Also check your vit B12 and vit D3 in your blood.
Hope this helps. Wish her a speedy recovery.