Having pain and twitching in neck after a fall. What is the remedy?

HI my son has had a bad blow to the back of the neck, (took a window off the hinges and then the widow fell on him) is now in a lot of pain and can't stop twitching
Posted Tue, 29 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Visiting an ER would be most appropriate

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

In such a scenario where twitching is present, and as the injury is in some a delicate place, I would advice an immediate visit to the ER (emergency room). A physical examination coupled with an x-ray of the neck region and may be a more conclusive investigation of the head region might be required.

Other than the twitching does your son have any symptoms like: vomiting, alteration in mental state (confusion, anxiety, loss of consciousness, etc), blurring of vision, a swelling or bump from the injury, nausea? And the pain that he is experiencing is located in which region exactly?

It would be my sincere request to visit an ER, especially if your child is insured. I hope my response helps you find adequate medical attention for your son. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Having pain and twitching in neck after a fall. What is the remedy? 20 minutes later
he is asleep now. is that bad? it is bedtime (10 oclock here) the nearest hospital is an hour away, do you think i should wake him? before he fell asleep he was feeling a little better, no nausea no obvious swelling, blurred vision he just felt a bit dizzy and i think was in a bit of shock when it first happened. the pain was in the back of the neck and he was having trouble getting up from a sitting postion. pain down his back too as the window then landed on top of him and it was quite heavy. twitching has stop now he asleep, and did calm down about an hour after it happened. thanks for your response.,
Brief Answer:
Rest now; visit the doctors tomorrow

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again.

It seems as though there are no serious symptoms present, for an emergency visit. But please keep an eye open for all of the symptoms I have listed above, if you notice any of these, then rush him to the ER.

For now, please do not wake him. Let him get some rest, and do visit the doctor tomorrow. He is a young boy, so we need to make sure he is okay. His body has only started to spurt, and so we should not let any injuries hamper that. A visit to the doctor at your convenient time tomorrow would be helpful in ruling out the worst. In the meantime, bed rest, warm compresses and completely avoiding physical strain would be advised. Also please do not massage his neck or back region until a doctor physically examines him.

My best wishes are with your family. Wishing your son a speedy and complete recovery. Do keep me posted.

God bless.