Ask a Dentist   »  

Having pain and swelling on teeth. Prescribed metrogel, zerodol-p and suggested for RCT. Thoughts?

Sir,I am 34 yers old.I am suffrice some pain & swelling on my left side upper teeth,I visit Doctor's chamber and he wrote some medicine like, co-symoxyl-625, Metrogel, Zerodol-p,and advice for RCT.I wanted to know what Is RCT, and is there any other option as I here from somone that RCT is not good it effect to other teeth too. Pl advice
Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 46 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

I would like to tell you that when infection of tooth becomes deep & involves pulp then the only method to save the tooth is Root Canal Treatment (RCT).

In Root Canal treatment, the dentist drills into the pulp chamber and removes the infected pulp and then drills the nerve out of the root canal (s) with long needle-shaped drills. After this is done, the dentist fills each of the root canals and the chamber with an inert material and seals up the opening.

It is very safe & painless procedure & doesn't affect other teeth.

Before proceeding for this treatment, you need to get your pain & swelling subsided.
That's why your dentist prescribed you mentioned medicines.

In my opinion after taking following regime of medicines you should get your RCT started.

Hope this suffices. Please feel free to ask if you have any more queries.

Take Care