Having pain and swelling in ankle. Had spinal fusion. Diagnosed with RSD after rotator cuff surgery. Taking gabapentin. Suggest

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
had a spinal fusion from T10 to S1 almost a year ago, I have a rod, 46 screws in my back and four anchors in pelvis and hips, also had surgery from a broken shoulder - leg gave out before back surgery., more pins and a plate. I was diagnosed in 2003 with RSD after rotator cuff surgery. I think it has come back with a vengence.
I am in pain 24/7 honestly. I have take a myriad of meds including gabapentin 3200 mgs, 30mgs oxytcontin, baclofen 60mgs, ambien, klonipin 3mgs. Been given morphine ER and hydromorphone.. pain management dr want's to to in pain pump.. very concerned about this. He is not even sure he can get into spinal column.
Also I have severe neuropathy in left leg, which caused left ankle to swell up, and extreme pain starting at back all the way down to foot which swells up constantly.
My question is, what do you think of medications and which do you think is best for me? Also thoughts on morphine pain pump?
Thank you
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you for posting your query.

I can understand your discomfort on account of pain, despite being on multiple medications, and having undergone surgery.
Among the list, gabapentin and baclofen are good drugs for neuropathic pain. Oxycodone (oxycontin), morphine and hydromorphone are other useful drugs for chronic pain. Other drugs that help in neuropathic pain include pregabalin and duloxetine. Ambien helps in sleep and Klonopin in anxiety.

I feel if your pain is persisting despite these medications, it would be a good idea to go for morphine pain pump.

I hope it helps.
Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/