Having pain and soreness in elbow. Not able to lift things. Used sports tape and took Arnica. Pain radiating to forearm. What to do?

About November 2012, somehow I managed to get out of bed, resting all my weight on my right elbow, (wt 125lbs, 5'4") - I did not know that was possible. For the next 3 weeks I could not lift the teapot, my elbow was sore and ached. It seemed to get better, and I lifted my grocery bag as usual and then the pain returned. Around February and March, again noticed soreness, near outter elbow, and sometimes forearm. Since, April I have used sports tape, and take Arnica but only slight relief. Sometimes if I press on the pointy part of the elbow, it smarts, I don't seem to remember it doing that before the injury. I can lift things but I have not forgot that my elbow is sore because I feel a little pain here and then. At night, when I sleep on my right side and extend my arm, it feels stiff and hurts in the morning, or if I roll to the other side in the middle of the night.
Posted Sun, 30 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 6 hours later
Thanks for your query to healthcare magic.
From what you describe you have most probably suffered a stress fracture elbow or elbow sprain or a partially dislocated elbow.

But the exact diagnosis can be made only after an Xray or in some cases a bone scan or MRI.

Since your problem has been there for longer duration i would suggest you visit a orthopedician and confirm diagnosis. after a diagnosis is made your doctor would initiate appropriate treatment, which is usually medications like acetaminophen (Tylenol) to reduce pain and immobilization of the affected elbow to help healing.

until you XXXXXXX your doctor here are a few home remedies:

Rest-Avoid activities that cause pain or swelling

Ice- Keep the area iced for 15 to 20 minutes, and repeat several times a day. Cold reduces pain and swelling. If the area turns white, stop treatment immediately. If you have vascular disease, diabetes or decreased sensation, talk with your doctor before applying ice.

Elevation:elevate the injured area above the level of your heart, especially at night. Gravity helps reduce swelling by draining excess fluid.

Compression-To help stop swelling, compress the area with an elastic bandage until the swelling stops. Don't wrap the bandage too tightly or it may reduce circulation. Begin wrapping at the end farthest from your heart. Loosen the wrap if the pain increases, the area becomes numb or swelling is occurring below the wrapped area

Hope the information was useful, if you have any further queries im happy to answer, if no kindly close the query & rate it.

Take care,
Dr.Balaji Chinnasami, MD