Having pain and numbness in back. Not getting relief by physical therapy. Any cure?

Spine Surgeon
I've had upper back pain for six weeks now with stabbing pains on left side and arm going numb. I had a MRI and the findings are loss of height involving dorsal cortex at T9 and small hemangioma at T6. The dr spoke of disc degeneration and bone spurs but sent me back to PCP. Now I'm in physical therapy but not getting any relief. It has started waking me up at night with terrible pain.
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 1 hour later
Usually pain at the base of neck with arm symptoms may suggest a cervical disc problem. Disc degeneration and bony spur may compromise the nerve root space and can cause pain. We would need to rule out nerve compression. For disc degeneration and hemangioma which cause back pain, they are usually treated with medicine and physiotherapy.
However, to allow me to help you better, please answer the following questions:
a. Can you please tell me the exact location off the pain?
b. Does this pain travel anywhere ( like to the arms etc)?
c. Can you upload the MRI images? You can use to 'Upload your images ' section or email them at YYYY@YYYY with "attention to Dr Rahul Chaudhary XXXXXXX in the subject line.

The above information will allow us to have an idea about the cause. Treatment can then proceed accordingly.

Follow-up: Having pain and numbness in back. Not getting relief by physical therapy. Any cure? 27 hours later
The pain is stemming from the T9 and that's where they saw a deformity. It radiates from left to right between my shoulder blades and sometimes down my lower back and hips. My neck hurts starting at that divot under my skull down to my shoulders. I was in a bad accident in 2001 and fractured my C7 vertabrae also my clavicle was crushed and now have titanium metal plate it also crushed my left shoulder blade and fractured my hip. No actual damage was done to my back that I'm aware of but drs are saying it may be a result over time. I will send you the MRI images. Nothing was said by the ortho dr about any nerve compression but with this new onset of sharp pain and arm and fingers going numb it leads me to believe there may be some. Thank you for all your help I'm tired of being in pain and need some resolution!! I do go in to a neuro dr Monday just want to make sure that's the right path to take. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 5 hours later
Thanks for the information.

Your pain pattern suggests more of myalgia type.

I saw the MRI images, there does not seem to be any nerve root compression. Symptoms you described are not due to nerve compression. Sometimes in post-traumatic phase, you may experience such pain.

Consider taking pain medicine for severe pain. However, ultimate solution lies in physiotherapy.