Having pain and less bleeding after taking mifepristone. Got positive pregnancy test. Worrisome

Sep 2012

Hi sir/mam, i am 23, missed my period on 5th march.having a pregnancy test found positive on 9th march. Take one Mifepristone(200mg) on 10.30pm on 9th. having less bleeding. Then take 2 nos Misoprostol(200mgx2) on 11th march 10.30pm, having pain and less bleeding on the next morning again take 2 nos Misoprostol(200mgx2) 12th march 10.30pm. but same having a less bleeding. When i test for pregnancy 17th march morning it is found positive. please suggest what to do to for this abortion.
Posted Fri, 5 Apr 2013 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 23 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query here.

Look, you have taken the medicines in wrong way. The misoprostol should have to be taken intravaginally. From your description, I think, you have taken it orally. When misoprostol taken orally it has less effectiveness. It requires intravaginal route because that enhances the uterine contraction and induce the abortion immediately.

But, now, it is already late, and you have an episode of failed abortion. That means, in this situation, you have nothing to do by taking any more medicine. Because, if you again try to abort by taking mifepristone, you may experience the side effects of this method like huge bleeding and incomplete abortion.

So, you have to consult with a gynecologist for manual dilation and evacuation. I can understand your problem. But this situation did not occur if you have consulted a doctor before taking the drugs.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.