Having pain and feeling bruise on elbow. Hurts to move arm. Cause and cure?

Question
unexplained pain near left arm elbow I am a 40 year old woman 4ft 11 and I weigh 137. A couple months ago I noticed a pain in my arm near my elbow on the underside it feels like a bruise would. I thought maybe I had hit it and it would go away but it never has. It hurts when I move my arm a certain way or lift something a little heavy. It is not an intense or constant pain but I can't explain it or know what it is.
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 46 minutes later

Normally for the description of pain of 2 months around elbow we think of conditions which involve inflammation of the tendons in that area (Tennis elbow). Various other conditions also present with pain around that area.

I would like to know some more details on your problem to understand better and opine specifically.

Is the pain present throughout the day or worsening by the end of the day?
Is the pain present in all movements or only on moving in a particular direction?
Is there any swelling, redness etc in that area?
Did you do some unusual work before the pain started?
Is there any fever, rash etc associated?
Is there any weight loss associated?

To arrive at a diagnosis an X XXXXXXX of the elbow joint may be required.
Other investigations like blood counts are done only depending on the clinical scenario.

In conditions such as tennis elbow we advise rest to the joint.
Ice packs, Pain killers that is non steroidal anti-inflammatory medication(NSAIDS), etc are required to relieve pain.
Some times corticosteroid injections may be given to the joint.

Hope this helps.

Follow-up: Having pain and feeling bruise on elbow. Hurts to move arm. Cause and cure? 46 minutes later
the pain stays but only feel when I move it a certain way and if I lift something heavy. It seems like it hurts a little more as I become tired . it is only relevant when I move it a certain way or lift something heavy. there is no swelling or redness. I didn't do anything unusual that Im aware of. no rash or weight loss

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 55 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

I think of conditions involving inflammation at the tendons in that area.

X-ray of the elbow joint and further investigations depending on examination findings may be prescribed in such conditions by treating doctor.

As advised already in conditions such as tennis elbow we advise rest to the joint.

Hope this helps.