Having pain and cramping in legs. What should I do?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi my name is XXXXXXX im 56yrs old..about 15 months ago I had leg pain and had the leg ultra sound done and it was negative for september I went camping and wore flip flops for a few days and since then I have had leg pain in the left leg it started out in the shin, and side of the calf sometimes both sides, a few days ago it started right across the top back of the calf just before the bend of the comes and goessometimes its gone for a few days, the pain isnt always in the same spot.I work in a meat packing plant and is always waliking on cold wet cement..I wear orthotics in my shoes when at work..there is no redness in theese areas..
Posted Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Your symptoms could be due to Muscle strain. Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Based on the description and your symptoms, I personally feel that you could be suffering with muscle cramps or a muscle strain. Both of these issues are not considered serious and will resolve with conservative measures which include the following : - Take Rest and do not do any activities that cause pain till the acute pain subsides - Apply ice or a cold pack to the painful area for 15 to 20 minutes, 4 times a day for several days. Wrap the ice or cold pack in a towel. Do not apply the ice directly to your skin. - Take ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) or acetaminophen (Tylenol) to help relieve pain - Gentle massaging of the painful area with any over the counter pain creams will provide instant pain relief - Use heat, only when you are returning to physical activity. Then use it before stretching. Gentle heating can help loosen the muscle - When the acute pain is gone, start gentle stretching exercises. Stay within pain limits. Hold each stretch for about 10 seconds and repeat 6 times. - Physical therapy may speed up the recovery process. Therapeutic modalities such as Ultrasound, Massaging and specific exercises will be helpful. - Most of the muscle pains are related to Potassium deficiency, so I advise you to take foods such as bananas, potatoes, prune juice and dried fruits. - Also, include calcium fortified foods like seafood and fish, almonds, flaxseed, oats, parsley, prunes, sesame seeds can help to stave off muscle spasm. Avoid foods acidic foods and drinks like tomatoes and vinegar which blocks the body’s natural ability to absorb calcium. Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further Regards