Having pain after hernia repair. Prescribed with Gabapentin, but no relief. Can MRI scan detect muscle or nerve damage?

A few years ago i caused my self a hernia by straining a the bowels while constapated .16 mths ago had hernia repair (apendics in scrotum) and still have same pain i had before op . Ache runs from just to right of belly button down into right testical . Had ultra sound to check repair , all ok . My consultant says i may have ilioinguinal nerve distribution pain but has discharged me from their care . I was then referred to the pain clinic and prescribed Gabapentin which i have not yet taken and do not wish to .The pain clinic doctor thinks there is a muscular component to my pain as it is aggravated mainly by movement but also thinks there may also be a neuropathic element given my description of pain being aching and burning . Im not happy with the out come of my treatment and my GP seems frustraigted that i want to persue more screening to find an awnser to my pain and get it treated rather than taking drugs to hide the pain . I feel like im back at square one ive had the op but no further forward . so my question is , is it worth me persueing this maybe getting a private consultation , is there any other worth while screening i could get maybe an mri scan , can mri scan detect muscle damage or nerve damage . What do i do now any advise appreciated cheers XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 7 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following suggestions... Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX I read your medical data and I understand your worries. Now, you are saying to still feeling pain. When hernia occurs, sometimes, the pain persists for some time. That's why you need to be patient. Another thing, you are saying that hernia occurred when you "strained too hard because of being constipated". So, constipation could be another reason for the pain you are having now. Try to avoid constipation by: - eating foods high in fiber or take fiber supplements (containing psyllium) and sena folium (as tea or pill) - drink more water - go to bathroom every time you feel the need, do not delay - try not to keep your breathe when passing the motion; Other tests I could suggest are - culture of feces for candida -examination of feces for ova/parasites - urine analysis - abdominal ultrasound If everything ok, wait for some more time before going for ct-scan of the abdomen. Hope it answered to your inquiries! Dr.Sejdini p.s. if you still have more questions, feel free to ask me back at the next follow up.
Follow-up: Having pain after hernia repair. Prescribed with Gabapentin, but no relief. Can MRI scan detect muscle or nerve damage? 18 hours later
I do not have constipation now and never get it . It was just a one time occurance . Have already had abdominal ultra sound and all ok .Have waited 16 months since op ,how long should i wait before going for mri scan and can it show up nerve or muscle damage
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Recom.wait 6 more months,then,go for MRI... Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for writing back. I suggest to wait for another 6 months for improvement, then do MRI scan. MRI scan of the abdomen will help show up any possible muscle or other organic damage. MRI neurography can show up nerves damages. Hope it answered to your questions! Wish you health! Dr.Sejdini
Follow-up: Having pain after hernia repair. Prescribed with Gabapentin, but no relief. Can MRI scan detect muscle or nerve damage? 45 hours later
Hi i was thinking of getting a second opion from another consutant , maybe there is another reason for my pain . Could i have done damage to other parts of my body when straining at bowels , if so what . Thanks for your help XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Damaged body parts when straining at bowels... Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Once again thank you for writing back. If you are worried about any damage caused to your genital organs, then, I'd ask for other medical data: - do you have discharge? - have you regained your sexual performance after the operation? Or you still have problems? - are your testicles swollen or painful? If you do not have any of these symptoms, then, there is no need to be worried about. Try to work or focus in other activities to ease your pain. Bare in mind to run those activities that do not aggravate your pain. Within the next 6 months, you can ask your GP to run MRI scan. I am sure you will forget about the pain after 6 months and hopefully won't have any health problem! Wish you health! Dr.Sejdini Looking forward to kindly have the answers in! Thank you!